Saturday 1 December 2012

When baking goes wrong, part 1: How to cope with baking disasters

As far as hobbies go baking is a fairly cost effective hobby, even if a recipe doesn’t work out the way you hoped the results are usually still edible. But having a recipe go wrong can be a little upsetting and annoying, so here is a short guide on how to cope when baking goes wrong.

Step 1 Allow yourself to be annoyed or upset
When things go wrong I get annoyed if it’s a recipe I know well or upset if it’s the first time I’ve tried it. No matter what emotion you feel when the worst happens I find the best solution is for 5 minutes to just let yourself feel like that, so have a cry or yell at your oven. Do whatever it takes for you to get the initial upset or anger out of your system because bottling up your feelings is not healthy.

Step 2 Try and find the positives
Just because something in a recipe has gone wrong doesn’t mean that the results are awful, most of I find there is usually a positive side. As an example my recent attempt at macaroons, they went totally wrong but they still tasted like they should. Always try and find that positive part of the bake, like the fact it still tastes right or it can be used for something else. So if you cake has sunk in the middle that doesn’t mean you can’t still eat it. It’ll still taste good and if you don’t want to serve it just cut it up and use it to make something else like cake pops or trifle!
Sometimes everything going wrong can be funny (especially if it’s a recipe you make a lot) and I think finding the funny side and having a good laugh totally counts as a positive side.

Step 3 Work out what went wrong
You may have noticed that I do this when I post about recipes I’ve tried, I believe that analysing your bake is very important. If you don’t try and work out why everything went wrong what is there to stop you from making that mistake again? It may be something as simple as opening the oven door too early and too often or a complex series of issues (see my post on macaroons!), but if you try and figure out the problem it should be much easier to avoid it happening again. But don’t panic if you can’t figure out the problem, sometimes stuff just happens!

There you have it my 3 step program to dealing with baking disasters, in part 2 I shall be listing solutions to common baking problems and tips on how to avoid having a disaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...